Two options are available for testing apparent circumferential or hoop tensile strength of fiberglass pipes.
Hoop tensile testing on YL25 universal testing machine
Testing on the YL25 UTM is by far the more economical solution; and is commonly adopted where possible. Test standards ISO 8521, EN 1394, DIN 1394 and BS 1394 allow testing of a circumferential strip instead of complete ring for DN > 500 mm. Compliance with these standards is then possible on YL25 as follows:
- DN ≤ 500 mm: Split disk test method B of ISO 8521, EN 1394, DIN 1394 and BS 1394 and ASTM D2290.
- DN > 500 mm: Modified strip test to Method D or E of ISO 8521, EN 1394, DIN 1394 and BS 1394.
Hoop tensile testing on SD split disk testing machine
Tests on split disk testing machine are undertaken when:
- Testing is to be done to ASTM D2290, which requires split disk method for fiberglass pipes irrespective of diameter.
- When project consultants require dedicated split disk testing machine.
YLE's SD Split Disk testers are the leading testers in the fiberglass pipe industry for determination of circumferential (hoop) tensile strength. In particular SD testers have a 25 mm groove depth, meeting requirements of ASTM D2290, ISO 8521 and EN 1394 regarding the 25 mm minimum width of split disk test specimens.
Test conditions and software module allow performing circumferential (hoop) tensile test in conformance with the following test standards:
- ISO 8521 Method B
- DIN EN 1394 Method B
- ASTM D 2290
Three models of split disk testers are offered:
1. SD2600: For testing pipes of nominal diameter up to 2600 mm (100 inches)
2. SD3000: For testing pipes of nominal diameter up to 3000 mm (118 inches)
3. SD4000: For testing pipes of nominal diameter up to 4000 mm (157 inches)
From circumferential (hoop) tensile test the following properties are determined:
- Apparent circumferential (hoop) strength N/mm2
- Apparent circumferential (hoop) strength per unit length, N/mm